A gas leak adjacent to one of Sarnia’s busiest streets forced the evacuation of 15 homes Wednesday.
The roar of an exposed gas pipe could be heard hundreds of metres from the ruptured line near the intersection of Confederation and Palmerston streets.
A construction crew working on the site accidentally cut the line, said Sarnia police Staff Sgt. Dave Bonnema.
“We’re fortunate. The wind is so strong today that it’s just lifting the gas up into the air,” he said at the scene.
A police officer who happened to be passing noticed the leak and called in emergency responders at 11:11 a.m. Fire and ambulance responded and worked quickly to evacuate residents from surrounding homes.
A Union Gas crew was on-scene working to close nearby junctions and choke off the leak.
Confederation Street reopened around 1:30 p.m. once the repair work was complete.